Everything You Should Know Before Buying An Air Fryer!
Many articles on the internet claim that air fryers are a healthy alternative to deep-frying. However, is it really true? Do their benefits outnumber their drawbacks? Or is it worth the money?
Owing to the sudden but crucial awareness of a healthier and enriched life, air fryers are one of the most demanded kitchen appliances. Deep-fried foods are widely consumed throughout various countries of the world in different ways, such as churros and fritters. The frying process makes the food crunchy and tastier, which sometimes leads to overconsumption of the meal. However, this overeating leads to numerous cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and other severe health problems, leading to a poor lifestyle.
Interestingly, various alternative methods can be used to make daily life meals healthier than before. Instead of submerging the food into hot cooking oil and letting it absorb excess oil, one can switch it with air fryers.
What is an air fryer?
In simple terms, an air fryer is a countertop oven that uses hot air circulation to stimulate frying. Its cooking style makes the food crispier on the outside and gives it a nice golden brown color, making it more appetizing. Air fryers emit heat from the heating elements, and a fan attached to its top circulates the air for an evenly cooked lip-smacking meal. An exhaust is attached to its backside to maintain the inner temperature by releasing excess hot air. The drip tray prevents the juices from meat or steaks to drip and creates a mess in the appliance. Most modern air fryers are equipped with impressive capabilities such as cooking accessories for a specific type of cooking. The most common examples are grilling trays, pizza pans, skewers, and much more.
Owing to the health-conscious mindset, we want to avoid fried food as much as possible. Luckily, the advent of advancements in technology is keeping its pace with our desires. Air fryers have become more than a luxurious item and have occupied a significant spot in our kitchens and hearts.
Types of air fryers
Although there are various types of air fryers in the market, they all fall into standard convection oven air fryer and popular basket air fryers.
- Basket air fryers- This type of air fryers are pretty popular in the market. They come along with a basket to hold the food, which is similar to traditional deep fryers.
- Convection oven ai fryers- Convection oven air fryers are closely linked to standard toasters or ovens. They usually have racks for air frying the food.
What type of foods can one make in an air fryer?
There is a never-ending list of foods that can be prepared and cooked in an air fryer. From juicy turkey and tender chicken to crispy nuggets, from soft, moist cakes to crunchy fritters, you can make a full party snack buffet in air fryers. Moreover, below are some examples of delicacies that you can make hassle-free in an air fryer:
- Chicken Tenders, breast, wings
- Egg Rolls
- Baked Potatoes
- Air Fryer Brownies
- Cheesy Pizza
- Salmon and other grilled fish
- The tastiest blooming onion
- Pork chops and steak
- Banana Bread
- Homemade kale, banana, or other chips
- Classic french fries
- Puffs and egg rolls
- Cheese sticks
Benefits of air fryers
- Air fryers are typically known for their sleek and attractive exterior. They are specifically made compact to adjust in tighter spaces.
- Their smart touch screen allows you to make desirable temperature and timer adjustments for precisely cooking.
- Air fryers are also known for cooking healthier meals in less time than deep frying. They do not require any type of cooking oil as they solely cook food with flushes of hot air.
- They prevent excess heating in the kitchen and spares you from cleaning the mess of deep-fried food.
- The manufactures of air fryers advertise the appliance as a safer route to enjoy fried foods without suffering from its adverse health problems.
- Since they have a lower fat percentage than fried food, you can eat as much as you want.
- According to many air fryer’s users, the taste and texture of air fried food are not identical to the standard fried method.
- If your food is only coated with batter without any dry coating of breadcrumbs, then there is a high chance that the air fryer will blow off the batter.
- Since the food is air fried at a high temperature, there is a high risk of burned food if the instructions are not followed correctly.
Factors to look for before buying an air fryer
Have you decided to purchase an air fryer and say YES to a healthier lifestyle? Well, first of all, congratulations for taking the right step, and secondly, do you know what factors to consider before buying one? If not, then you are definitely in the right place. Below are some of the key factors that one must ensure, such as:
- Capacity– The first and the foremost thing, to begin with, is determining the capacity of the air fryer. If you want to cook a whole chicken or turkey, you must go for the larger ones with 3-4 liters of capacity. However, if you only want it for tea time or midnight snacks, then the smallest one will be perfect for you.
- Wattage- It is also essential to ensure that your kitchen outlets support the wattage requirement of the air fryer you are considering. A standard air fryer typically consumes 800 watts to 1500 watts.
- Size- Although air fryers are specifically designed to fit your counter space still there are slight chances that they might not fit. Buying the right sized air fryer is, thus, the utmost priority. You have to find an air fryer which not only perfectly sits on the countertop but also can cook a sufficient quantity of food.
- Features- These days, the first thing we look at whenever we buy something is its features and capabilities. If the appliance does not precisely fit our desires, then there is no point in wasting time on it. Always look at all the features of the air fryer such as does it have timer or temperature control or not, the type of accessories that comes along, different cooking modes, etc. Can you change the setting mid-cycle? Take good luck and decide accordingly.
- Cost- It is no doubt that air fryers definitely cost a lot. However, the important thing is to consider whether or not the price justifies its features and capabilities. Always compare between two or more choices to get your hands on the best one.
- Reviews– Always have a thoughtful mindset towards other buyer’s reviews posted online. You can get a lot of information about the appliance without even looking at it in person. Moreover, you can also use these reviews to determine whether the appliance possesses capabilities in real life, which the manufacturers are claiming.
Why does my chicken nuggets sometimes do not become crispier on the outside?
To receive efficient results from an air fryer, try to use oven-ready food. These type of snacks usually becomes golden and crispy on the outside. If you use snacks that are typically meant for deep frying, then they stay soggy and pale from the outside. Moreover, always remember to cook in smaller batches and set the right temperature and preparation time.
How long does a standard air fryer ake to cool down after cooking? Why is it necessary?
It is always advised to cool down the air frying device before storing it in a non-ventilated space to ensure its durability. Generally, an air fryer takes at least 30-40 minutes to cool down completely. You can also remove the racks, trays, or basket for swift action.
Can I cook a large quantity at one time?
This is one of the most common mistakes people with air fryers usually make. If you want your nuggets or any other food to be cooked evenly, do not overcrowd the basket. If you will too much quantity at once, it will be burnt at some places while some pieces will remain raw. Always cook your food in mini-batches to avoid stale, uncooked, or overcooked pieces.
Do air fryers degrade the taste of food?
NO, the air fryer does not degrade the taste of food. Although many air fried foods do not actually taste identical to deep-fried foods, they still make it yummy and crispy. However, certain products such as classic frozen french fries or tater tots are an exception since they are also fried and frozen, so you are basically reheating them in an air fryer.
Are air fryers safe to use?
Air fryers are definitely way better than the process of frying food. They reduce the risk of accidentally spilling or splashing of scalding oil. However, you should always read the manual to understand the correct way of using an air fryer.